Sunday, January 15, 2012

Embrace

The word for 2012 for me is Embrace. This year looks to be bringing a ton a changes for me and my family.  Change is inevitable.  Instead of fighting the onslaught of changes I'm going to embrace it.  I'm determined to make the best of it and enjoy what is sure to be a wild ride.

Another thing that I'm fully embracing this year is who I am.  I've fought too long against my innate desires because they seem even to me to be all over the map.  I'm constantly telling myself to focus, to finish one thing before I start another, to follow through.  One of my former bosses told me I was like a butterfly.  That she noticed that I liked to go from one thing to another.  I have no idea how she meant it but I took it to mean that I was flighty.  A friend of mine once suggested that Ritalin might be a good fit for me because I had adhd "tendencies."  I retorted with a very dry comment about not being invited to the celebration when she received her doctorate.  She of course had not and I vaguely remember that conversation ending badly.

No more.  This year I will fly from flower to flower collecting pollen and savoring the nectar that is my life.  I will embrace every idea and follow it to where ever it may lead.  I will embrace change, success, failure, if not with equal enthusiasm (I mean let's be honest, I'm no Polly Anna) with a sense of wonder and oneness.

I am a creative spirit who loves to try new things.  This year I started sewing.  I sew very badly, but some people (ahem...my kids) seem to love the things I make for them.  I think they are pleased that I don't sew clothes.  I made my girl a Hello Kitty pillow.  It sits on her bed and she cuddles with it every night.  Sometimes I hear her reading to Kitty. It makes my day when I hear her reading.

Kitty Sachet


 Kitty Pillow







Owl Pillow (obviously)
I'm no fool so I tried a small version of the pillow first and made a little sachet.  It's not perfect, but the lavender scent makes up for the less than symmetrical face.  I think the pillow turned out quite nice.  For my son I made a really weird looking owl pillow.  He loved it and said he was so glad it didn't give him nightmares!





Currently I working on refinishing some furniture and making some toys for the after school enrichment program I run.  I'm excited to be sharing these as well as my thoughts about the changes on the horizon.  I do have another blog which you can visit here.  That one is very business and education related, this one will be more creative, more personal, more me.  Next up...the ugly duckling furniture that I'm transforming.

No comments:

Post a Comment